In "Theater for Twits" writer and television host Peter Funt addresses the emergence of "tweet seats" inside classical theaters. With the use of ironic commentery, Funt conveys his disagreement with the idea of theaters having sections where texting and tweeting is encouraged. Throughout the article, Funt claims that this "confluence of social media and the arts" disrupts the experience for the majority of paying theatregoers. He supports this argument by giving examples of some socially aware theatergoer's (as he identifies them) tweets. Tweets like "Music hall looks a lot prettier from the top balcony" as posted by withak53 at the Cincinnati Symphony are what Funt views as agitating. Within his article, Funt utilizes the Aristotle appeals in order to persuade his audience to agree with his argument against "tweet seats". His use of irony and sarcasm provide very effective appeals to his audiences emotions. For instance when referring to the Palm Beach Opera's use of "tweet seats" he states, "Since you already have super titles to provide the English translation, why not also display messages from the tweet seats? They could scroll along during the show, the way CNN and Fox News Channel have been running distracting viewer tweets across the bottom of the TV screen during presidential debates". The amount of sarcasm loaded into those two simple statements serve to humorly sway the reader to agree with his argument. Moreover, his use of sarcasm displays his agitation at the concept of tweet seats and in turn elicite similar agitation from his audience.In doing so, he includes his audience in his argument and gives the impression that he wants them on his side. In addition to pathos, Funt appeals to the logic of his audience by questioning the reasoning behind theaters' decision to contain sections where communicating via twitter is encouraged. He questions this decision in the second paragragh where his states, "Are promoters so desperate to attract younger audiences that they’re willing to risk disrupting the experience for the majority of paying theatergoers The answer, in five characters, is 'u bet.'". Statements such as this imply that theater's don't really care about their audiences and push Funt's audience to oppose "tweet seats". Lastly, Funt builds credibility in the eyes of his audience when he uses examples of actual theaters who use "tweet seats". He refers to theaters like the Cincinnati Symphony and the Palm Beach Opera. Furthermore, he gives examples of other instances where tweets are posted at unusual times (ex. NFL players & sportswriters posting during games). Through appeals to ethos, pathos, and logos writer Peter Funt effectly conveys his opinion that the emergence of "tweet seats" is unnecessary and disruptive in theaters.
In my opinion, I agree with Peter Funt. Even though I am not a "theatergoer", I would definately be irritated with a person posting vague and absurd things during a show I am interested in. And besides, if the use of "tweet seats" continues, whats to say that it wouldn't move on into movie theaters? I absolutely would hate it if I'm emersed into a great movie and then get distracted by light reflecting off the phone of a person sitting around me. I'm pretty sure I would not be able to tolerate it. Peter Funt projects a very convincing argument in this article. And I agree that it would be very annoying and Funt has persuaded me that there should be no place for "tweet seats."
THIS IS OH SO TOTALLY STUPID! I just about threw my phone when I read this. Seriously? Texting/tweeting sections in MOVIE THEATRES? Of all the absurd.places to think of! that would totally defeat.the.purpose of a movie theatre. Im sorry but if people are seriously so addicted to their phones that they cant do without using it for a solid 2 to 3 hours of nice movie watching then they.dont belong in movie theatres. Better yet they need a psychologist--to help them with their addiction to their CELLULAR AND ELECTRONIC DEVICES!
ReplyDeleteNot "movie" theaters per-say, the article is addressing "theatre" (british-spelling). You know, like for the classical arts and such
DeleteBecause I think Twitter is seriously the most pointless thing on the Internet, besides Nyan cat, I AGREE with the author. If you wanted to post how much the ticket for your seat was, what you're wearing, or what it's like sitting from a balcony, you can do that AFTER the play/performance. I just don't understand. It ticks me off to think that people would tweet about absurd things while in the theater. They'd be too concerned on what's trending and wouldn't pay attention to what was actually going on. I think I'm also kind of angry because more people would probably show up for a seat, rather than actually sitting down to watch a performance.
ReplyDeleteNyan cat is not that stupid. Okay, maybe it is. Just a bit. I have a Twitter account and it's not that bad. Back to the point, I may use social media but TEXTING IN A THEATRE?! That is more than absurd, that would annoy me. If you want to text or tweet go outside. Don't ruin the experience.
DeleteI Agree, in all honesty though... WHY would you leave the comforts of your home, to waste gas and money to pay and sit somewhere just so you can text or tweet. No offense, but who's the idiot with that bright idea? That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Have people actually, finally, and completely lost it? OMG THERE ARE PIGS FLYING IN THE SKY!!!! not. Anyway... that is just plain dumb, I'm upset, sad, disappointed, and all of the above...
ReplyDeleteHEY COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, JOIN MY BLOG PLEASE!!
Ok what is nexting waterproof phones so we can tweet and text while swimming!?! This is just crazy. I was recently in the movie theatre and the girl in front of me was tweeting throughout the whole movie! It was quite annoying because of the light. Also I was able to read whatever she wrote because she was below me! I think that if you want to tweet about the movie, do it after the movie people!!
ReplyDeleteBecause i would rather start an argument,i agree to disagree. I think its cool,"REVOLUTIONARY",even, to have come up with such a unexpected (out of the box) idea.
ReplyDeleteI decided to respond to your attempt to ignite an argument: I disagree with your "agree to disagree" LOL. Yeah it would be cool if it was at least a DECENT idea. You go to the theater to watch the plays/orchestras/etc...not to tweet or text. Having tweet seats isn't fair to those that actually are interested in the shows. If these theaters/twits want those types of seats so badly, they should designate a separate theater for those that want to tweet while watching.
Delete